Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Why I love A.L. Kennedy


"The days of averagely successful writers being able to earn a living simply by writing have probably gone, if not for good, then for the foreseeable future. The tiny percentage at the top of the iceberg will be OK: everyone else will be cold, or cold and under water, or cold and under water and pale and bloated. This will mean more hours for huge numbers of writers; more work to subsidise the work you want to do, and more risk of falling apart while you push yourself too hard to get that extra inch forward."

2 comments:

  1. Uh, she's right, she's funny, she's insightful...but I'm not sure my day is better for having read this.

    Also, now I'm going to go to that link--I'll let you know if I need to be talked down off anything!
    R

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please do. I'll have a megaphone in one hand and my proud copy of *Once* in the other.

    ReplyDelete