Friday, April 2, 2010

Happy National Poetry Month

April has arrived, and along with it July-like temperatures - at least here in Toronto. As many of you no doubt know, April is National Poetry Month, a time to reflect on all manner of verse and its importance to our literary culture. While I am the sort of bloke who reads poetry all year round, I understand that many of you are not. So if you'd like to take this National Poetry Month to connect with some really good collections of verse, allow me to recommend some.

These are 10 excellent books of Canadian poetry that I've read in the last three or four years. They're a diverse bunch for sure, but I think there are numerous things that unify them. I write poetry and have had some published hither and on, but I tend to judge a collection by how well it both inspires me to write more poetry but also makes me want to leave it to others who are obviously doing it so much better. Call it awe and envy. Each of these wonderful collections certainly instilled both in me. I hope they'll do the same for you.

Now if you'll excuse me, I really should go outside and enjoy some of this balmy April weather. Cruelest month my arse.
  • Wolf Tree, by Alison Calder
  • Palilalia, by Jeffery Donaldson
  • Repose, by Adam Getty
  • A Strange Relief, by Sonnet L'Abbe
  • Short Haul Engine, by Karen Solie
  • Crabwise to the Hounds, by Jeremy Dodds
  • Slant Room, by Michael Eden Reynolds
  • Track & Trace, by Zachariah Wells
  • Meniscus, by Shane Neilson
  • Misshapenness, by J.J. Steinfeld (my review)

No comments:

Post a Comment