Sunday, January 3, 2010

What's in a name?

After a lot of feet dragging and second thoughts, I’ve finally decided to get this blog off the ground. I had set up “Free Range Reading” about a year ago but promptly abandoned my plans to start posting because I was just too dang busy. I’m still too dang busy, but the blogging urge (blurge?) has not gone away, so here I am.

Why “Free Range Reading”? I guess because that phrase sums my relationship to books and literature rather nicely. After I completed my MA in creative writing, a lot of people asked me if I would go on to do a PhD. My answer was always a resounding no, as I was afraid that specializing in one field of literature would interfere with my “free range reading”. I think I made the right choice.

So what can you expect from this blog? I’m planning to post comments on most of the 60-odd books I read during the course of any given year. Most will be short, but hopefully I’ll find the time to write something a bit more substantial for some. I’m also hoping to post little tidbits from around the literary universe to which I belong, as well as developments from my own writing career as they (if they?) arise. And lastly, what blog would be complete without the occasional day-to-day inanity? Don’t worry – I promise to be clever!

Finally: Just in case your curious about my reading patterns, you can always check out my static website for the comprehensive reading log I’ve been keeping since 2004. If you want to discuss any of the books, by all means drop me a line!

M

No comments:

Post a Comment